My Short Term Career Goal Is A Nap

/
0 Comments
Snack of the Day: Peanut M&Ms
NaNoWriMo:  Day 1

NaNoWriMo is upon is and I find myself very, very sleepy all of a sudden.  I've begun my traditional approach to procrastination:  I've written a few emails.  I've read articles, blogs, had a few revelatory ideas that I will forget by lunch.  And now I'm blogging.  Anything but that blank page. 

After all that build up and the stupid countdown, here I am again with little desire to start another giant pile of triceratops poo.  I will anyway but I'm at that strange and wonderful intersection of need and creativity, that is to say I am both broke and in possession of few actual work skills.  With every interview, I wait and wait for the dreaded question: "What are you long term and short term career goals?"

I answer with words somehow, some formula tweaked here and there, when really my response is a drawn out, internal eye-roll.  At myself.  And that question.

My short term career goal changes daily.   Today it is 1,667 words and a nap.   My long term career goal is something like that anecdote about Picasso and the five minute sketch.  That is to say, I don't think it will look like a career until one day someone offers me money for something I've been doing all my life.  Obviously, my "problems" are indicative of my socioeconomic status, my age, my belief system.  My mother has been a teacher all her career; we are Generation Flux.  Embrace it.  

My answers to basic interview questions are thought bubbles tied together by candy shoelaces.  What do I know?  I am blessed and I am sleepy.  And those 1,667 words aren't going to write themselves so I need to find someone whose lifelong dream is to be a transpondster.  Goodbye.


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.